So, you have managed to gain a basic knowledge of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. (If not check out this article: A Basic Explanation of Bitcoin) You have even managed to buy some bitcoin or another type of cryptocurrency. Now what?
Many people who purchase cryptocurrencies are motivated by investment or trading, but what about those who want to buy things with it? What happens if you are travelling the world for example and your bank locks you out of your account? The only available money you have is your cryptocurrency… What can you do?
Well, fear not, as this has happened to James before and there are a number of solutions to this problem. Today we will talk about what in my opinion is the best solution… Bitrefill.
Bitrefill provides a simple and easy to use service; you don’t even have to sign up for an account. With Bitrefill, you can purchase gift cards with cryptocurrency. The choice is impressive; Amazon vouchers, Netflix, Spotify and a number of physical and online store vouchers redeemable in a multitude of countries… from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
James found himself locked out of his bank account when he was staying in my flat in England. I wasn’t there and he had run out of food. He remembered that he had some bitcoin on his phone and used Bitrefill to purchase ‘Clubcard vouchers’, which he then used to go and buy food at the local supermarket, Tesco. The service allowed him to buy food at a pretty essential and desperate time.
I have also used Bitrefill for less urgent survival situations and can confirm that the service has always been quick and easy. The service is why I recommend to friends who go travelling:
- Bring both a debit and credit card with you.
- Try and keep some cash with you. Not stored in your wallet!
- Keep some bitcoin on a bitcoin wallet located on your phone / a hardware wallet.
With the above, you should be able to buy food, flights etc even if you lose either your phone or wallet.
How do I actually use the service?
It is pretty easy, here is a step by step guide:
- Go to www.bitrefill.com.
- Type into the search bar the name of the voucher you want to purchase. (For example, ‘Amazon UK’).
- Click on the voucher you want to purchase.
- Select the value of the voucher in USD, EUR / GBP.
- Press ‘Add to Cart’.
- Click on the ‘Cart’ button at the top right of the screen.
- Select the payment method. (For example, bitcoin)
- For bitcoin purchases, use the ‘withdraw’ function on your bitcoin wallet and then use the ‘scan’ or ‘camera’ function on the wallet to scan the QR code on the Bitrefill ‘Invoice’ page. Then send the bitcoin to the address which comes up.
- For other purchase methods, follow the instructions provided on the website.
- Provide the required details to Bitrefill in order for you to allow them to send you the gift card.
Voila! You have a gift card / voucher that you can use to buy games, products, software, food and much more.
Disclaimer: Bitrefill did not pay me to write this article, nor did they endorse or ask me to write this article. This article contains information built solely from my own personal experience. The article’s intended purpose is to help those travelling or who want to spend cryptocurrency in a practical way.